I see it all around me. And, yeah, lately, I’ve fallen prey to it, myself…
I’m the guy who’s usually insanely effective at focusing in on what I want, plotting a course, then doing anything and everything to make it happen. I’m “That Renegade Guy.” Got a cape and everything.
So, I’ve been wondering “what’s up with me?” lately.
Damned if it doesn’t suck just a little bit when you’re confronted with your own humanity and fallibility. Turns out, I’m great at giving everyone else a break…not so good when it comes to me.
In the 8-week period that ended 2008 and started 2009, I…
- Sold the company I built for 7 years,
- Launched a book and drove the 3-month “intensive” phase of the release campaign,
- Launched a second blog, website, interview series and podcast.
- Began R&D on up to 5 other companies, the first of which launches next month.
There’s a ton of emotion and work wrapped up in each one of these milestones.
Enough to demand the time and psychic space to recover, to process, to digest, to restore. Time I’ve not yet taken. Instead, I’ve fallen into what is, for me, the very unfamiliar territory of living far too reactively. I know that sounds like an odd thing to say, in light of how busy I am right now.
But, busy and conscious are two very different things.
Busyness that’s not driven by clarity and purpose is almost always a bad thing. And, it’s near impossible to find clarity and purpose without space. At least, for me.
So, question is, what am I going to do about it?
Here’s what. I’ll be stepping back a bit and asking whether the millions of things that are keeping me busy these days are the things that are moving me toward my continuing quest to come alive…or just keeping me from re-examining “what” will make me come alive as I move into what is very much a new phase of both my career and my life (don’t worry, not bailing on the blog!).
And, I invite you ask that same question and share your thoughts with our amazing family below.
- What’s keeping you so incredibly busy right now? And…
- is what’s keeping you so busy moving you strongly in the direction of coming alive…or simply keeping you so busy you don’t have to think about what you really want to do, and why you’re not doing it?
As always, would love to hear your thoughts…
Join our Email List for Weekly Updates
And join this amazing community of makers and doers. You know you wanna...