For those of you who tuned this morning, you’ve probably noticed a whole bunch of design changes in the blog. This actually reflects a bunch of much bigger stuff that going on behind the scenes, all to benefit…you!
Here are the highlights…
- Full-feeds in the house – I tend to write longish columns/articles, so I have been using excerpts on the home-page to try to avoid an insanely long front page of the blog. This also meant I had to use partial feeds in my subscriptions and rely on a bit of copywriting to encourage people to click through. It was never about bumping my traffic, because I don’t really advertise.Great news! I’ve found a fabulous plug-in called Post-Teaser that lets you display excerpts on the frontpage and still deliver full-length articles in my feeds and e-mails. You can see Post-Teaser at work below. It even lists the word-count of each article. So, if you’ve been scared away by my partial feeds, come on back and subscribe today! Now every feed is a full-feed!
- Sumo-subscriber dude – you’ve probably already noticed the little animated sumo-dude next to the new subscription links on the top-right. This is a Sitepal. He’s there to explain a bit about blog updates to new visitors. If you click on him, he talks.
- Ask Jonathan – There’s a new box in the right column called “Ask Jonathan,” that’s there to encourage you to ask me questions. I get a lot of question from readers in response to my articles, and I’d like to make an advice column that gives more details input a regular part of my rotation. So, if something’s on your mind…ask away!
- Wider main content-area – I made the main content area much wider. This really helps readability, especially with longer columns, and lessens the need to scroll.
- Simplified categories – I’ve been streamlining the categories to add a bit of clarity and make it easier to find stuff. There are still a few more few categories that’ll be introduced over the next few weeks.
- Refining focus & new small-biz blog coming soon – One of the things I’ve learned about myself is that I have an unusually broad basket of interests. This has been both a plus and a minus for this blog. Because, if you were only interested in my lifestyle writing, you needed to pretty much suck it up until I cycled through all the different topics and circled back to the one/s you like. Or, if you liked my marketing columns, you needed to wait until I circled back to them. And, while some people have similar scope of interests as me, but, I’ve learned many more don’t. Which has led me to “temper” what I write and not go as deep into certain areas as I’ve wanted to.No more. Rather than making people wait a while for their favorite topics or water down anything, I’m taking a giant step. In a few weeks, I will be launching a second blog that focuses purely on nuts and bolts small-business tools, techniques and technology in a lot of detail. I’ll also be including a ton of interviews, podcasts and more. This will let me focus more on lifestyles, career, personal growth, motivation, success, productivity, health and fitness, blogging and, still, a touch of entrepreneurship here.
So, if you’re more drawn to all my lifestyle topics, just keep on tuning in. If you like more of my nuts and bolts business/marketing topics, you’ll have another blog to subscribe to soon.
- Comments include Gravatars – The comment section have now been made a bit easier to navigate and you can now have your personal Gravatar displayed along with your comments. For more info on Gravatars, click here.
- Recent Posts – To make navigating a bit easier, I’ve added in a “recent posts” section in the new right column.
Well, that’s pretty much it. Let me know how our new digs and features are working for you. Ask questions in the new Ask Jonathan form on the right and, as always, share any thoughts or ideas that you think will help make this blog more valuable, informative and entertaining for all!
Finally, a giant thanks to all who’ve embraced and help grow this wonderful community in a remarkably short time (only 4 months).
And, stay tuned for news about my soon-to-launch hardcore small-biz blog!
Join our Email List for Weekly Updates
And join this amazing community of makers and doers. You know you wanna...