There’s been a lot of focus on follower counts, friend counts, subscriber counts, viewer counts and readers as of late. And, those are important metrics the from the standpoint of expanding your impact on the world…and potentially, your income.
But, sometimes I wonder if we’re spending too much time on the wrong metric…
Here’s what I care about:
- I care about writing something so raw and real, it moves people beyond laughter, beyond tears, beyond breathlessness, to action
- I care about the lush aroma of razor-thin sliced garlic, aged olive-oil and vidalia onions wafting through the kitchen on a lazy Sunday, emboldened by notch-too-loud Led Zeppelin and a glass of red wine that dances me from counter to counter as I create a dinner feast for my wife and little girl.
- I care that my astonishingly beautiful, kind and brilliant wife feels loved, feels safe, feels supported and free to be who she needs to be in the world
- I care about driving along on cool summer night, windows down, palm snaking through in the wind while Sweet Child of Mine fills the air.
- I care about riding alone on a deeply-wooded slice of singletrack, sweat peeling from my eyes as the sound of my breath fuses with the whir of the chain on the beat-up Turner mountain bike I built by hand 10 years ago.
- I care about being present to teach my little girl to skip rocks at the beach, to know her friend’s names, to make her breakfast, to see her grow and become a woman, to walk her down the aisle, to one day hold my grandchild’s hand in mine if I’m so blessed
- I care about people around the world who can’t afford food or medicine or shelter, while I sit writing this from the patio of my two bedroom apartment in NYC, largely a beneficiary of the lucky sperm club
- I care about ducking out of the way at the last minute to avoid the beach ball my wife just whipped at my head as I sit here writing this at 6am on a Monday morning
- I care that my parents, my family and friends are healthy, happy, confident and loved.
- I care about lying on an old wicker couch, daughter drifting off in my lap as the sound of a summer rain obscures the deeper rhythm of Charlie Parker ethereally off in the distance.
- I care about the process of creation and innovation that breathes life into everything I undertake
- I care about the opportunity to have an impact on my greater community, however that evolves, that lasts longer than my time before each person
- I care about the music, the pulse of being in every corner of my life, in every corner of the world.
These are my core metrics. These are the experiences I want to spent the greatest amount of time adding to my life. And, they evolve and grow all the time.
Followers, online friends, subscribers, readers…sure, they’re nice. But, at least for me, life’s bigger than that.
So, I’m wondering…what do you care about beyond the screen…
You Don't Need a Bribe To Join This Tribe
Plain and simple. Did you enjoy what you just read? Cool, then get more in your inbox every week. And join this amazing tribe of makers and doers. You know you wanna...