Everywhere you look, stories and images of the darker side of human nature reign supreme. Because our brains are wired to see and hang on to these negative images more fiercely than the positive, it’s easy to fall into the “we’re all screwed” black hole.
Truth is. There are stunning examples of the lighter, more giving side of humanity all around us. Part of the reason Good Life Project exists is to tell those stories. But, Good Life Project isn’t the only “light media” game in town. I’m always hunting for beautiful stories, truths, or “composite” truths told through different media, that help reconnect you with the good in people.
Here’s a collection of six videos that’ve moved me recently and reminded me to play more on the compassionate, artistic side of life. Enjoy. And feel free to share.
1. Glee’s Harry Shum, Jr. choreographs and performs this beautiful piece that blends his story of overcoming deeply-ingrained shyness and bullying to become an extraordinary performer and artist.
2. When 13 year-old Logan LaPlante grows up, he doesn’t want to be a lawyer or doctor or adventurer or artist. He wants to be happy and healthy. Something so many of us lose somewhere around his age. In this powerful video, he shares how he and his family are hacking his education to achieve this goal.
3. Twenty people living with cancer participated in a unique makeover experience. They were invited to a studio. Their hair and makeup were completely redone, but not in a way anyone would’ve imagined. During the transformation, they were asked to keep their eyes closed. A photographer then captured the moment they opened their eyes.
4. Invisible People reconnects us with the humanity of those less fortunate folks who live without a home. This clip shares the story of Joseph, a 75 year old gentle man who lives on the streets, and his compassion for a 14 year old who left Joseph in a coma for 5 months, partially-blind and disabled. What happened next left me in awe. If you don’t have time for the whole thing, start watching at the 3-minute mark. Just wow.
5. Beautifully filmed blend of storytelling meets dance as a refuge and turned source of power and connection. What this kid can do, just wow.
6. Kid President always makes me smile. Here he offers advice to babies a/k/a “new people” about what the world is about and how to make the best of it. Sometimes people just have a bad day, he says, doesn’t mean they’re bad people. Life is about love.
Moments, stories and creative expressions like these make me want to tell a bigger story with the way I live my life. One that leads with a giving heart. One that raises my contribution to the world to the level of art. One that allows me to live into my essence. To matter beyond just me.
How about you?
GLP Immersion 2014 – We are now accepting applications for the Good Life Project 2014 Immersion, a once-a-year, 7-month aligned business and personal growth experience like no other. Spoiler alert – it includes 6-days in Costa Rica.
You Don't Need a Bribe To Join This Tribe
Plain and simple. Did you enjoy what you just read? Cool, then get more in your inbox every week. And join this amazing tribe of makers and doers. You know you wanna...